Compass for the Heart

"The compass will always show you the right direction, so you will stop relying on your own guesses. Like this, wherever you are, you have this sense that shows you the truth." - Ajahn Chah


This blog is solely for SPBS Dhamma Sharing... Get random Dhamma readings from "!!Surprise Reading!!" under the 'Links' Section...

31 May, 2009

Teachings to the King of Gods

'Joy is of two sorts, I tell you, **King of Gods:
to be pursued & not to be pursued.'

When one knows of a feeling of joy,
'As I pursue this joy, unskillful mental qualities increase,
and skillful mental qualities decline,'

That sort of joy is not to be pursued.


When one knows of a feeling of joy,
'As I pursue this joy, unskillful mental qualities decline,
and skillful mental qualities increase,'

that sort of joy is to be pursued.


(The Buddha repeats this teaching on... )

'Grief is of two sorts, I tell you...
'Equanimity is of two sorts, I tell you...
'Actions is of two sorts, I tell you...
'Speech is of two sorts, I tell you...
'Searching ( or seeking/pursuing over anything) is of two sorts, I tell you...
'Sense faculties (Form, Sound, Smell, Tongue, Touch, Thoughts) is of two sorts, I tell you...

- Digha Nikaya 21, Sakkapanha Sutta (Questions of the King of Gods)

**King of Gods: The King of the Realm of Thirty-three Heavens (Tavatimsa Heaven).
Commonly known as "Sakka", "Deva Raja" or "Ti Gong"for chinese(天公).

Of all the frangrances - sandal, tagara, blue lotus & jasmine - the fragance of virtue is by far the sweetest.
- Dhammapada, Chapter 4, Verse 55.